My summer excursion across our nation...because it is out there and cannot be held in southern california...

Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 4 Part B

Tim had called just before arrival while weaving single lane road construction, so after completing my slumber structure I returned his phone call, wondering away from the site, partially for fear my talking could awaken any one if they be in the trailer or within earshot.

Finding my way down to the little dock just past the launch ramp, I stood out with stars above and their wandering reflections in the pond below. Some motion in the water caught the corner of my eye, looking down and finding my focus fall upon a three foot water moccasin, just about four feet from the side of the dock in which I stood and at the level of only a few inches above the waters surface.

Photobucket

My body froze, my heart pounded, my voice halted, stuttered and squeaked. To any one who may not know, or haven't yet encountered or read about these little buggers, they make a rattlers scales pale in comparison- and they don't let you know they are about to strike...they just do it. Most snakes only attack when they feel threatened, these guys will just strike any thing that moves within range. The venom differs as well, once the fangs sink in it doesn't need time to run through the blood stream to affect injury, it will immediately numb and begin its paralysis by way of the nerve system and the blood will only carry this infirm to more of the body. It is not easily bled out and can render a limb useless with a good enough bite.

With that said- and all of those thoughts running through my mind at that moment- I slowly moved my way back up the levels of dock to solid ground and found my breath again while attempting to find my way back to the story I was telling Tim.

As we were finishing up our conversation I began to see a set of lights slowly come around the back right side of the pond- or what I had up to this moment believed was a pond. Thinking they might be heading to the boat launch of which I now stood, I moved back up to the car and tent. Hanging up the phone I began to unload the car and set up my sleeping arrangement.

After a few minutes the sound and lights of the afore mentioned water vessel came closer. I stood in awe and wonder at the sight in which I beheld.

Two boys in late teens or early twenties standing in a fishing boat with attached trolly motor, six large household flood lights affixed to the bow of the boat, one of them was handling the makeshift till and the other with foot on boats edge, intently scouring the light flooded water with bow pulled tight and arrow at the ready, rope attached to it's end.

I really couldn't believe my eyes. That I was really seeing two boys fishing in a swampy river with and bow and arrow. So in awe and with stifled laugh I totally didn't think until the last second to photograph this momentous occasion.

Ripping out the camera and tripod I was only able to capture the last remnants of their light as they curved away into the swamp filled darkness.

Photobucket

Which in turn spurned ideas for some more night photography of my one night dwelling in a campground bordered by a swamp in Arkansas.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Setting myself to bed after this eventful muggy night, I couldn't keep my mind from wandering around the days happenings and the following days drive to my final destination- well at least for the time being. Was startled when my pillow began to sing to me much like Mike Herrera to the tune of "Chick Magnet." A text message from Hannah inquiring as to my whereabouts and the trip thus far. I responded shortly and asked how her time home had been...a minute or so passed and now my phone sings the first chords to "Rock N Rule" by Emery and I am again startled and realize she just called me instead of a text response. We talked for over an hour and upon our goodbyes, the Arkansas night gave way to my dreams.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers