Grabbing breakfast quickly at McDonalds (whatever it was the only thing open...)I found out that when you order Iced Coffee "regular" it means sugar free vanilla is added. I figured in general not wanting flavor wouldn't bring one to put in such a horrid mockery of vanilla in place of nothing.
Upon downing the breakfast and fueling the mule I set upon the road to Arkansas by way of Tex-lahoma.
A little blue star appears at the top of my phone and slowly pulses whenever I have missed a call or text or any such missed event, including email that my phone routinely checks. And I don't like said star to slowly pulsate there if possible- so I hit the email button to clear it and notice a message from Tooth and Nail Records regarding Emery's new release, it was not coming out Tuesday as it normally would but that Saturday would arrive on the shelves of Target and "your local music establishment." Coming upon Texas I said that I would only stop if I found a Target, otherwise would do the state in one shot.
Entering Amarillo I notice a huge red circle/dot announcing to the whole world there was an available Target at the exit he or she just passed. I quickly maneuver around dually toting businessmen commuter "cars" and exited the following street- weaving through streets back towards the beacon of Target- a few U-turns and multiple lane changes around said "commuter cars" and soccer mom SUV's of rage, eventually finding my way to the music aisles with no new release section touting the proper title, and through the backwards alphabet to the letter E under Pop and Rock to a blank divider card titled "Emery- On Shallow Seas We Sail." The knew it was to be out soon, but it had never made its way to the shelf, and of course no one was around to assist me in the dilemma- oh and it is 11am...so they couldn't have sold out in two hours.
Having noticed a Christian Book Store across the street I made my way there. After being greeted by a nice girl shelving books I was promptly ignored three times by the guy in the music section- opting for walking around my chosen aisle to talk to the older couple to my left. Finding Emery amidst the awkwardly arranged alphabet, there was only one CD of their previous album and an EP. Since CD avoidance man wasn't going to help my grizzly-ness I left and found a music store in the mall close by, who knew nothing of Emery or CD releases on Saturday. Leaving the mall I came upon Best Buy, so I figured I might as well give that a try, seeing that I wasn't going to let the sun set without first having the album in hand and in stereo.
This Best Buy had twice as much Country music as I've ever seen in one place and about half as much "Rock and Pop" as a normal Best Buy. Digging my way through the alphabetized band names I came to Emery's tag and paused momentarily to ready my self for once again being let down, flipped back the CD's in front to the glory of the hand drawn album cover of ship at sea. Holding it in disbelief after this now hour long search, I really couldn't believe I now had it in hand. Quickly proceeded to the counter for purchase .
Now slightly hungry and knowing I must be going on my way, I found a Schlotzky's Deli, having never had it, and its claim to free wireless internet, I again made my way around mom's and commuters to the so called "deli with a funny name, and a serious sandwich."
There were four iMacs set upon a bar in the middle and nere an electrical outlet save for the one posted century at the entrance. So I ordered ate and left, the sandwich was fine, but not worth the time in pronouncing the name. Oh yeah and after a few minutes the computers were swarmed by children who immediately logged on and began playing their favorite online game, there could not have been one over the age of eight.
I had been instructed to eat at Brahm's when I was in Oklahoma- which in this case coincided with dinner time upon my city arrival. Finding one more-or-less on route via GPSy, I proceeded to its doors to realize my informant wanted my dining experience to include a large dairy filled sundae of gastronomical glory- one of which is the last thing a "Lactoid" (as Erin calls it) should feast upon during a long road trip with few rest stops and in the absence of medicinal aid. So, I had a hamburger, coke and lust in my belly.
Texas and Oklahoma are quite the arduous task- its not a walk in the park, when the park is dry grass and the path straight and unending, as far as the eye may see. So I knew that I had to get gas and coffee and be on my way. Little did I know that finding the closest of both would continue to take me further away from the 40. Among other things, road blocks and single lane highways, over an hour later I was on my way back down 40 towards Arkansas.
Having found only one campground near the border without going too far out of the way- I knew I had to make Arkansas by nightfall.
When the sunset and I was still in OK, I quickly realized I wasn't going to set up camp in any kind of natural light, but it was my best bet for a nights stay.
As soon as I hit Arkansas- well a few miles before- the foliage began to grow up around the edges of the freeway and eventually covered the view on both sides. The roads began to curve, rise and fall, giving my tired eyes and wind worn fore arms something to do to keep me going.
Just as I was beginning to have more trouble focusing, Erin called to confirm my whereabouts and giving me a good conversation for upwards of 45 mins and just a few miles short of my campground- now past 9:30.
Pulling up to the entrance, I quickly found that it wasn't "Parkridge Campground" as trusty GPSy told me- but "Parkridge RV Campground." No mention of tents...made me a bit worried. And the "office" sign pointed to a house across a bridge and up a short hill.
I sat pondering my options. A continued drive, finding another campground, or hoping for the best. So I walked up to the lower portion of the house that was an office/gift shop, opening the door rang a bell above as I cautiously entered the dimly lit room full of nicknacks and dangly things. Rustling was heard just above and soft but firm foot falls ascended the darkened stairwell as a man in his mid forties with socked feet and his little son, greeted me politely and questioningly- guess my bearded smiling face was a bit out of place at an RV park in the middle of the Ozarks.
I enquired about tent spots explaining that I hadn't realized it was primarily an RV park 'till my arrival. He said he did and it was $16.50 including bathroom privileges. He asked where I was from, and upon offering my response the man gave a "well that figures" sort of look and I mentioned I was heading to Nashville the following day, whereupon he asked if I "was one of those famous musicians." To which I chuckled and replied, "No...but I'd like to be one day." He just nodded and said to follow him in his golf cart to the campsite.
Taking me around to the back of the facility he stopped in a small clearing, surrounded by vines and trees, just uphill from what looked like a small pond, adjacent to a large camper that seemed as though it had been there a while, with its accompanied Mustang and Harley tucked under its fifth wheel apparatus. Grass growing up around the wheels and a worn path to its entrance, the vehicles had Texas plates and no trailer hauler was in sight.
Setting up to the headlights on the Mini, of which kept deciding to not be on, every couple minutes I had to run over and flick them back on and resume my building.





No comments:
Post a Comment